Even though it’s been decades since some of us were last in school, there’s still a sense of freedom and reinvention that comes with summer, right? When Team Turquoise planned our Summer 2022 issue, we knew we wanted to hone in on the most vibrant and innovative ideas so that we could help everyone transition into fall feeling inspired and empowered… (Just in time for The Turquoise Iris’s fall retreats! Learn more about the retreats in our digital exclusive, The Girls’ Trip of a Lifetime.) To give you a little taste of our next issue, we thought we’d share some of the items on our summer bucket list this year!
Fun Things to Do in Summer 2022
Here is your official Summer Bucket List for 2022! These are our favorite, totally non-negotiable summer activities.
- Beach day! Hit up your nearest large body of water for a day of fun, sun, and sand!
- Outdoor movies. Though drive-in theaters have become a thing of the past, tons of small towns still host outdoor movies in the park. What a fun chance to stay up late and — BONUS — you get to bring your own snacks!
- Have a picnic. Whether you’re eating tacos by the beach or watermelon in the park, getting out into nature with some friends is our favorite way to spend an afternoon.
- Watch a parade. Summer is a time for
- Try something new! With longer days and more sunshine, it feels like summer is the perfect opportunity to pick up a new hobby (or three).
- Be a kid again.
- Read a new book! We’ll be featuring The Turquoise Iris Journal community’s favorite summer reads in our July issue!
- Make lemonade from scratch. Is there anything better than fresh lemonade in the garden?
- Visit the farmer’s market. Supporting our local farmers while scoring fresh ingredients for the cookout!? Count us in.
- Have some old-school fun. Hit up the arcade, the bowling alley, or the mini-golf range and make memories that will last more than one lifetime.
- Camp out (or glamp out.) Even if tents aren’t your thing, it can be nice to spend an evening under the stars!
- Take a REAL vacation. No work, no emails, no phones — just you and the people you love most focusing on enjoying every moment.
Creative Summer Bucket List 2022
We’ve put together a list of all the trends, tricks, and trips we want to explore this summer.
Creative Activities to Do This Summer
- Go BIG! Try your hand at an oversize canvas or even a mural! Summer means better weather for projects that might be a little too hard to tackle indoors. Issue 02 has a fantastic mural tutorial from Andrea Ehrhardt!
- Paint en plein air. Give painting outdoors a go!
- Give Your Furniture a Facelift. Summer is the best time to finally update your boring old furniture and give them pretty new paint jobs! Every Find your favorite here.
- DIY Your Denim. Personalized clothing and accessories are a HUGE trend right now and you can still participate even if you can’t sew! Splatter some paint on there, decorate a pocket, or even embroider something on an old pair of jeans or overalls for a fresh new look.
- Make chalk (paint) art. Try adding some water and chalk paint to a spray bottle for a totally new effect on canvas and furniture.
- Build something. Tackle a table or, if you’re brave, a room in your own home!
- Think outside the box. Since the theme for our summer issue is innovate, we strongly encourage all our readers to try something completely new! Who knows, maybe you’ll share it in a future issue of The Turquoise Iris Journal.
Fun Places to Go This Summer
Take a road trip across the United States to visit some of our favorite shops and booths featured in The Turquoise Iris Journal.
- Round Top, Texas — Issue 02
- Village Chic in Charleston, SC — Issue 03
- Vintage Warehouse in Spartanburg, SC — Issue 03
- Rubbish Restyled in Lake Mills, WI — Issue 03
- M&M Mercantile Co in Canton, GA — Issue 03
- Gray Day Relics in Conway, WA —
- ellen j goods in Medina, NY — Issue 06
- Rose City Boutique in Springfield, OH — Issue 06
- The She Shed in Baltimore, MD — Issue 06
- Going abroad? Check out Strathvalley View Cottage in Australia (Issue 05)!!!
Did we miss anything? Let us know!